On April 16, 1909, Mrs. Mary C. Roark. wife of President Roark, was appointed acting-president by the Board of Regents. Her familiarity with the general administration of the school and knowledge of Dr. Roark's plans and ideals, combined with her administrative ability, her strong courage and her acquaintance throughout the State, especially fitted her as a successor to Dr. Roark. As acting president she brought success and harmony out of the discord and seeming failure which arose while Dr. Roark was ill. During her administration she strengthened every department of the school, and instituted a farreaching campaign to recruit new students. On October 1, 1909, Mrs. Roark was elected dean of women and served in both the capacity of dean of women and acting-president until April 9. 1910.
Mrs. Roark signed the diplomas for the first graduating class in 1909.
Upon retiring as acting-president on April 9, 1910, Mrs. Roark continued in the position as dean of women until the close of the school year 1914-15.