Browse Items (78 total)

  • Tags: buildings

Weaver Health Building

http://people.eku.edu/couturej/discovereku/buildings/0001-005-11114.jpg
The Weaver Building was built in 1930 and is named for Charles F. Weaver who served for twelve years on Eastern's Board of Regents and established two of the first financial awards at Eastern. There is an inground swimming pool in the basement of the…

Walters Hall

0001-005-11087.tif
Referred in documentation as Women's Dorm #5.
Walters Hall is currently a high rise that re-opened in 2010 following an extensive renovation. It is near the Burrier Classroom Building and the campus ministries buildings Baptist Campus Ministries,…

Wallace Building

http://people.eku.edu/couturej/discovereku/buildings/0001-005-03544.jpg
The Wallace Building is named in honor of Mr. William L. Wallace, a former member of the Eastern Kentucky University Board of Regents, who distinguished himself with a legal career spanning six decades. Two large lecture halls, located on the ground…

Vicker's Village - Multiple Dwellings

http://people.eku.edu/couturej/discovereku/buildings/0001-005-03600.jpg
Vickers Village is a complex of apartments and duplex apartments used for faculty housing. The village is named after John L. Vickers, a long time resident of Richmond and Eastern employee.

Van Peursem Pavillion

0001-016-2405-002.tif
The James E. van Peursem Music Pavilion is named for a long-time chairman of the music department. Dedicated in 1963, it is the source of lots of "good stories" (many to remain untold). One true story is of Mozart, a black mongrel dog buried behind…

University Building

0001-005-2978.jpg
The University Building, also known as Old Central, is the oldest building on campus and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. A stone marker over the main door records the date, "1874" and Central's motto, "Lex, Rex-Crux, Lux" or…

Turley House

http://people.eku.edu/couturej/discovereku/buildings/1988-009-185.jpg
This Queen Anne style house was built in 1893 for Anne Wallace Walters (1830-1903), widow of Singleton P. Walters, one of the principal benefactors of Central University. The house is named after R. E. Turley, Sr. (1863-1933), former member of the…

Todd Hall

0001-016-00437-002.tif
Referred in documentation as Men's Dorm # 5. The Greek Towers are two neighboring 11-story residence halls, Dupree and Todd, located in the heart of campus near student dining services in the Powell Student Center, the Student Success Building, and…

Telford Hall

http://people.eku.edu/couturej/discovereku/buildings/0001-005-03577.jpg
Telford Hall, a womens dormitory, is named for Miss Brown E. Telford of Richmond, a retired member of the music faculty, where she dedicated 44 years teaching piano and organ before her retirement in 1962. Telford Hall, constructed in 1969, is an…

Sullivan Hall

http://people.eku.edu/couturej/discovereku/buildings/1988-009-184.jpg
Sullivan Hall was named for Jere A. Sullivan (1862-1931), a Central University graduate and prominent attorney who supported the establishment of normal schools in Kentucky. He also served on Eastern's board of regents. Dedicated in 1909, with the…

Rowlett Building

http://people.eku.edu/couturej/discovereku/buildings/0001-005-03551.jpg
The John D. Rowlett Building is named for Eastern's former Vice President for Academic Affairs and Research. Dr. Rowlett was instrumental in the establishment and growth of nurse-education and allied health programs at Eastern. The building is a…

Roark Building

http://people.eku.edu/couturej/discovereku/buildings/0001-005-03548.jpg
The Roark building is named for Eastern's first president, Ruric Neval Roark (1859-1909). His wife, Mary , served as acting president in 1909 when her husband died at the age of 50. She served for nearly a year as the school's president and dean of…

Powell Student Center

http://people.eku.edu/couturej/discovereku/buildings/0001-022-ct1587.jpg
Built in 1971 and located in the center of campus, the building in named for former University President J. C. Powell . The Powell building serves as a student union, and recreation facility. There is a cafeteria located upstairs and a grill in the…

Perkins Building

http://people.eku.edu/couturej/discovereku/buildings/0001-022-ct2214-11.jpg
The Perkins Building is named for Congressman Carl D. Perkins from the Seventh Congressional District of Kentucky, an outspoken advocate of student aid programs, including federal scholarships, work study and student loans. The building, constructed…

Park Observatory

http://people.eku.edu/couturej/discovereku/buildings/0001-005-02541.jpg
The Smith Park Observatory is named in honor of a Madison County native, first Chair of the Department of Physics and longtime Chair of the Department of Mathematics. He served Eastern from 1923 until his retirement in 1967. The observatory was…

Tags:

Palmer Hall

0001-005-11848.tif
Referred in documentation as Men's Dorm # 7. Palmer Hall is currently is a Co-Educational Residence Hall housing Freshmen Students who participate in the ConneXtions Living Learning Community and provides resources and guidance from a large student…

O'Donnell Hall

0001-005-07911.jpg
O'Donnell Hall was the first of a series of dormitories built on Eastern's campus from 1959 to 1969. It was referred to in early documentation as Men's Dorm # 1 and was named after President William F. O'Donnell who was in office when it was built.…

Moore Building

http://people.eku.edu/couturej/discovereku/buildings/0001-022-ct1582.jpg
The Moore Building is named for Dr. W.J. Moore who came to Eastern in 1913 as a 19-year-old freshman, and retired in 1965 after 52 years' association with the University - 30 years as a teacher and 20 years as a Dean. The building, constructed in…

Memorial Science Building

http://people.eku.edu/couturej/discovereku/buildings/0001-021-4077.jpg
The Memorial Science Building on EKU campus.