From Normal School to University
In a series of educational reform measures, the Kentucky General Assembly in 1906 approved the Normal School Bill (HB 112), introduced by Representative Richard W. Miller of Richmond. It called for the establishment of two normal schools, one in the Eastern district and the other in the Western district, for the purpose of training teachers for the classroom, especially in the isolated rural areas of the state. Legislation also provided for the establishment of model training schools. The location of the schools was determined by a commission appointed by Central University alumnus Governor J. C. W. Beckham.
Madison County civic and business leaders launched a successful campaign to locate the Eastern Normal School in Richmond, on the site of Walters Collegiate Institute, which had acquired forty acres and three buildings from the trustees of Central University. The trustees of Walters transferred title to the buildings and property of the institute to the commonwealth free of charge.